This marinade is perfect for chuck steaks. It’s really easy to throw together and yields something that tastes like a lot of work: slightly sweet, a little spicy, very savory.
- 1 cup orange juice (the fresher the better)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (you can sub in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chile OR 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a wide bowl. I know it looks like a ton of ingredients, but it’s all stuff most people have on hand and literally takes 5 minutes to make. I like to put it together in the morning and let it soak while I’m at work, but overnight works great too! Aim for at least 8 hours.
- When you’re finished, give it a stir and put your steaks in the marinade, making sure they’re completely submerged. If you’re just doing one steak, reserve half of the liquid and refrigerate for later use (believe me, you’ll want to have more on hand!)
- When you’re ready to cook your steak, remove it from the liquid but don’t pat dry. I cook on medium high on a cast iron skillet, getting a good dark sear on each side which helps keep the juices inside.
- For a quick dinner, serve with steamed veggies and a heel of bread or a sweet potato and enjoy!